Thursday, March 19, 2009

March 19, 2009

A man convinced against his will, of the same opinion is he still.

So, that's a nice little quote I got from one of the Traveling Elders yesterday. We had exchanges with them (they're officially Traveling Assistant's to the President) and they basically go around the mission giving trainings at Zone Conferences or other "Traveling Elder Trainings" and they also go on exchanges with companionships to help uplift, motivate, and train them. Anyway, it was a good time! I went with Elder Wray (yes, I spelled that correctly) and we got some good stuff done. We ended up wasting some time trying to help a member move two TV's, but it still felt like a fairly productive day, even though we didn't get a whole lot of "work" done (like tracting, or teaching lessons, or other types of contacting). Elder Wray reminds me of myself and he had some good advice and suggestions to some of concerns, struggles, and questions. So that was pretty sweet! As far as other work is going, it goes...mostly well. The work has seemed to slow a little this past week, we had our lesson with Ron and Caroline Miller get postponed till next Tuesday, so hopefully that will go through. While on exchanges yesterday, Elder Nelson and Elder Henry were able to have a lesson with the Ferrell's and the Tommer's and that seemed to go well. They were able to set a more firm date with one of our investigators for April 18th to be baptized after he prays and knows that the Church is true. Now, the sad part this week comes from a couple, where the man was just baptized about 3 or 4 weeks ago. They're in a rough spot right now and struggling with their reasons for making the big changes in their lives they've been making. It seems that their testimony of Christ and the restored Gospel is not quite where it needs to be in order to sustain them; from what they told us it also seems apparent that communication between them broke down for a month or two; and most of all, it is apparent that Satan is doing his all to keep them away from the happiness and peace they are so earnestly seeking. Keep them in your prayers, please!

As for Elder Nelson and I, we're doing alright. It's still a challenge for me, but I'm learning to adapt to new personalities and live with people that are different from myself. I love Elder Nelson, he has some awesome qualities and characteristics I can definitely learn from; and I'm trying to learn how to just ignore some things that don't matter, and discuss things that really do matter so the both of us stay sane and united in our purpose and goals.

As for myself. I'm doing alright. Still growing and trying to figure out what it means for me to be a missionary, but still doing my best to give myself to the Savior. I love the Lord and I love this opprotunity I've been given. It's definitely difficult at times but I really appreciate the tender mercies of the Lord, and I appreciate Him in my life.

I'm happy I'm here, I'm happy my family and my friends (especially those very special ones) love me and support me doing this, I'm happy they're having their needs met and are okay...even though I might not be communicating with them as frequently as they or I would like, and I'm so happy that I have a chance to help others find a peace and joy that passeth all understanding.

My favorite scripture seems to be coming up more and more in my life, in my teaching, in my thoughts, just in general: 2 Timothy 1:7 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." Remember that!

I love y'all!
-Elder Michael Starks

No comments:

Post a Comment